Image: digitalart/FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Birthdays and Nutcrackers

I just had a birthday, and, while it was memorable in its own right, it lacked the luster of birthdays past.  My expectations were not too high, I hope, but, in a sense, it was truly 'just another day.'  That phrase was coined by my husband many years ago, and I've never believed it, until this year.  So many things have changed, and, along with my usual birthday gift to myself (a ticket to The Nutcracker), most have fallen by the wayside due mostly to the lack of dinero in everyone's pocket.  Bah, humbug.

Family is missing...logistically...mentally...physically.  I don't want to join their ranks.  Holidays are going to be quiet because the symbols of any joyous celebration will be shelved due to the humdrums, possibly.  Everyone is in need, and for some reason we feel we cannot express ourselves without the means to shop/drop, decorate/just because, and/or rally around the tree with the 'nog.  We shouldn't give up trying to instill what we all enjoyed as children into the hearts of remaining family.  

'Silver bells,' 'deck the halls,' 'grandma got run over by a reindeer,' decorated tree, cheese ball (if you are so inclined), and The Nativity are all very important parts of our society's celebration.  Don't let your circumstances dictate the mood or festivities.  Enjoy the JOY!

Until next time... "It is Christmas in the heart that puts Christmas in the air." -- W. T. Ellis 

No comments:

Post a Comment