Image: digitalart/FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Monday, October 31, 2011

Family Famine

The holidays loom just around the corner...Thanksgiving (which a lot of people think is just for football and food), and Christmas (which a lot of people think is for presents and food).  Where in both of these holiday celebrations do family fit in?  If you are from a big family, you can bet everyone will gather at Grandma's for a celebration.  If you don't have a grandma...well...

I was born into a big family.  That is, to say, I had five siblings.  We didn't gather at holidays because everyone left home when they graduated high school...moved far away and never looked back (except for one of my sisters).  Then the excuse of "it's too far," and "I can't get the time off from work" became the standard around holidays.

I used to get pretty weepy when I couldn't get my children together in one place for Thanksgiving and Christmas.  After they married, they spent more time over at the "other" spouse's family celebration.  I forged ahead and cooked big dinners, wrapped a lot of presents, and then waited.  The day was always short-lived and me and the hubby were left once again to ourselves.  I think last year was my last attempt at cooking Thanksgiving dinner.  Everyone is too wrapped up in whatever to try to continue any family get-togethers.

Now I know how my mother felt.

Until next time..."There are three types of  people in this world:  those who make things happen, those who watch things happen, and those who wonder what happened."  Guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment