Image: digitalart/FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Monday, October 10, 2011

A Spot of Sports

I've started another significance-laden journey, or quest, if you will.  A few years ago, I told myself I needed to try to read a 'classic' novel every so often, just to enlighten myself and if nothing else, so I could say, 'been there, done that.'  Once I learned to read, I've never stopped, and have voraciously read many books since.  Fortunately, 'classic' novels never go 'out of style,' and obviously nor has our seemingly never-ending obsession over sports.


Many times under duress, I've endured many years of listening  to football on television.  That, my friend, is my latest quest...to learn and/or understand the game of football.  I tolerated the game when I was in our high school pep club, because I really didn't have to watch it.  I was there 'to be seen' in my short-skirted uniform, knee socks and black and white saddle oxford shoes.  I had no interest in the game nor in its players...especially the players.  Now that I'm married to a former high-school football player, I may have changed my mind about that!


I've decided I favor college football more than professional football.  I think anyone who plays a game for their 'job,' deserves no pat on the back.  They get paid whether they lose the game or not.  Of course, there is that fancy ring.  I prefer college football because it's still a game, a rival between collegiate underdogs.  To wear the colors and the team name means something to these players.  They can talk about it after the game...on until the next one.


I know absolutely nothing about how the game is played.  I've had a few people try to 'splain it to me, but I'm just not gettin' it.  I obviously get excited when MY team makes a touchdown...that I know.  It looks like a lot of pushing and falling down.  I wonder why there aren't any women that wanna get in the game?  Why is football an all-male sport?  Well, I didn't mean to get off on that.  It doesn't matter to me.


There are definitely more important things in life that watching 'my team' play against 'your team.'  Just because you choose to sit in front of the television, or tailgate at the stadium, OR if you have lots of money, actually go to a football game...doesn't mean I have the inclination to join you.  I would instead choose to sit quietly and read a good book or a bad book, it doesn't matter.  Sports are overrated...if I choose, I can 'read' about football, and to attest to the name of my blog, drink a cuppa coffee while I read.  Guess my quest has already run its course. 


Until next time...as Vince Lombardi said, "If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?"

No comments:

Post a Comment